[STN-Affiliates] Offline Clips?

JEREMY BRANDT jbrandt at nhvweb.net
Wed Feb 18 07:17:45 PST 2009

I'm assuming this is a Final Cut project.  The project file alone will
not play on another Mac. You'd need to send all of the Captured Media
files as well as the Render files and any other files created outside of
the project that had been imported into the project.  In other words the
Final Cut project file is just an empty container that holds information
with pointers to the media files associated with it.

What I do to send project files from one Mac to another (for instance if
a student wants a project he worked on with a group and it resides on a
different computer than where he's building a dvd project for burning
all of his projects) is to export a Self-Contained QuickTime Movie.

In the browser window of Final Cut, select the sequence containing the
project.  Go to File>Export>QuickTime Movie.  In the dialog box that
opens, name the file and make sure the box is checked that says "Make
Movie Self-Contained".  This creates a (larger) file that has all of the
media associated with it, in a nice little "self-contained" version.
Now you can send that newly created file and send it to any computer to
play it.

Keep in mind that if you bring this file into a Final Cut project, it
will appear as one long clip.  It will not have all of the information
about tracks, cuts, etc. that the original Final Cut sequence had.

Jeremy Brandt
TV/Video Teacher
JBrandt at nhvweb.net
VHSTV