[STN-Affiliates] About the Best Practices DVD

davis-htv at htvmagazine.com davis-htv at htvmagazine.com
Tue Feb 24 15:58:22 PST 2009

Just some history regarding the Best Practices disc:

The STN "Best Practices" DVD was a membership benefit designed to provide
affiliates with a sample of winning entries from the previous school year.
 I remember Steve Galyon was our president when it was decided that for
your membership dues each year you would receive the DVD in addition to
the poster.  That would have been around 2004.

We included award-winning segments produced by STN schools, and we
included segments from non-STN contests as well as our own.  This meant
you would often receive the year's winners in the Robert F. Kennedy
contest, the NSPA Story of the Year contest, the NATAS "Awards For
Excellence" contest, and any other national competition in which an STN
school took the top prize.  We also included first place segments from
some, but not all of the STN Fall and Spring Nationals.

It was intended as a teaching tool, and as a way to recognize the
accomplishments of the schools in the organization.  Having helped with it
several times, I can tell you it was a huge challenge to get all the
content together each year, and sometimes it took us longer than
anticipated, but I think we did four or five of them total.

There might be an easier way to compile these online via uploading to
Schooltube.  I know it was always fun to see how well STN schools did in
the national contests sponsored by other organizations.  There were plenty
of times when we were pretty dominant in those events, and that was a
matter of pride for a lot of us.

Dave Davis
Hillcrest HS
Springfield, MO