[STN-Affiliates] Life lesson anecdote

Don Goble dgoble at ladue.k12.mo.us
Tue Feb 24 06:21:25 PST 2009

Dear STN colleagues,

As we prepare for a phenomenal Convention in just a few weeks, and with the
discussion of contests and winning, I thought I'd share a timely anecdote that
one of my students just encountered.

One of my young, aspiring filmmakers worked on a documentary all first
semester. He produced a trailer for the movie and submitted it to the STN Fall
Nationals and another national contest sponsored by Videomaker magazine and
Canon.  He first received his STN score, which was 38 out of 60 points. He was
devistated. He said to me, "Mr. Goble, you wouldn't have lied to me and said
you thought my video was good, would you?" This was a tough conversation. I
believed in his video and thought it was excellent. So we discussed how/why he
may have received the score that he did.

Two days later, we received a phone call from Videomaker magazine/Canon, that
this same young man had won their young filmmaker of the year award! This
contest is in its 21st year, and a very credible, worthwhile professional
organization. This student could have simply said the STN judge didn't know
what they were talking about. Instead, he said, "it's like you teach us Mr.
Goble, one man's trash is another man's treasure."

The subjectivity of contests is sometimes very hard to pinpoint Therefore, it's
always our goal, when we attend the STN Convention, or enter any kind of
contest, to produce a video that we are proud of, regardless of the outcome.
Receiving validation from others is important, but validating our own
satisfaction is much greater.

I wish you all the best as you prepare for STN in Orlando, and I hope to meet
many of you in a few weeks!

Don Goble
Ladue Horton Watkins H.S.
Broadcast Technology
LHS-TV
St. Louis, MO
314-983-5765
http://www.ladue.k12.mo.us/lhwhs/teacher_websites/dgoble/Don's%20iWeb/Site/Home_Page.html
http://www1.schooltube.com/Organization/OrganizationHome.aspx?oid=166862

This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged
information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by
return e-mail, delete this e-mail and destroy any copies. Any dissemination or
use of this information by a person other than the intended recipient is
unauthorized.