[STN-Affiliates] Damaged equipment response

Ray Lund ray.lund at thornton.saco.org
Mon Feb 23 07:47:19 PST 2009

Hi, Carrie,

I wish I had an answer for you.  It has been frustrating educating my
administrators as to the cost of operating a program that is
dependent on technology.  A lot of what I buy is consumer level.
Moms and dads use this stuff for birthdays and other special
occasions and then it sits on a shelf until next time.  For those of
us teaching creative video making and broadcast journalism have to
use everything on a daily basis with different users handling the
equipment.  We have to accept the fact that the equipment was not
designed for such use.  These have been my repair costs for the last
few years:

2003-04: $2,490
2004-05: $2,731
2006-07: $740
2007-08: $1200
2008-09: $1320 and counting

Firewire ports were a real headache for awhile.  My preaching about
not turning on the camcorder before attaching to the computer and
booting the computer has helped. of late it has been bad video heads.

We collect bottles and cans and redeem them.  A real pain and time
consuming task.  Some programs are fortunate to have repair money
allocated for the year.  I'm working on that.

Hang in there.

Ray