[STN-Affiliates] Shooting school board meetings

Dixon-Gayle, Pam pam.dixon-gayle at cpsb.org
Sat Feb 14 18:15:12 PST 2009

Our superintendent of schools is expecting my students to start shooting school board meetings in a brand new board room soon. I am looking for the easiest and most efficient way to shoot the board meetings for our government access channel. I may still have time to ask for equipment that will make it an easier task.

Are there any pros and cons I should consider before this becomes a regular thing. Did I mention I'm not really looking forward to this right now? (By the way the meetings can last from 4:45 to 7:00, 8:00 or 9:00 at night and we have 15 board members.) I will have a max of 30 students the entire year.

How many of you have your students shoot school board meetings and how do you handle it and staff them?

Do you use one camera? Two cameras? Remote controlled cameras?
And do you have any equipment, like your video switcher, that stays in the meeting room?

Do your students get graded for this? Community service credit? Does this hamper or help you in teaching?

Do you also go to all the meetings that your students shoot? Can students eventually shoot these without a teacher?

Pam Dixon Gayle
Academy TV
Lake Charles-Boston Academy of Learning
Lake Charles, LA