[STN-Affiliates] Life's lessons

Janet Kerby jkerby at access.k12.wv.us
Wed Feb 11 14:57:08 PST 2009

Pam,
extremely well said.

Janet Kerby, NBCT
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Dixon-Gayle, Pam
  To: Deborah Barnes ; affiliates at studenttelevision.com
  Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 4:36 PM
  Subject: Re: [STN-Affiliates] Life's lessons

  Here is how I handled stuff like this during my reporter days, granted we were basically a one station market and our only real competition was the newspaper the next day.

  I feel it depends on each individual story and how bad you want the interviews, how far you go to satisfy someone. Some people just want to feel comfortable with what you are going to ask and not be put on the spot. Some just want to be prepared. In that case, I would give them a "general idea" of what I want to ask or what I want to talk about, but not the exact wording of the questions, just enough to satisfy them. Then when I actually did the interview, I might throw in some other questions during the interview or just get more specific. It's really a taped "conversation" and unexpected questions tend to pop in your head anyway on the spot.

  Now if it's not a big deal of a story (routine, not controversial) and it makes no difference in the outcome of the story, I might let them know more specifically what some of my questions will be. If it's an investigation or expose, I would just ask them for a response or their side to whatever the issue is and leave it at that. There's always that "he didn't want to comment on camera" line. I can't recall anyone ever pointing out that I didn't ask them word for word exactly what I said I would, and I don't think they even noticed I asked twice as many questions.

  I don't think there is one way to handle every story. And a power play isn't likely to get you far. We generally don't write scripts ahead of time anyway, so that should be a moot point. I can see where people might be overly sensitive to being part of a news story that involves the abuse of minors. I don't know the angle of your story, but if it's a regular story on the services of this center, then I would have talked to the one who wrecked the story in a patient, calm and understanding manner (regardless of how I felt) and then try to address it with the executive director the same way. Also if you can convince them how the agency and the children will benefit, you may get more cooperation. People tend to soften up if they see what's in it for them.

  I think you can be flexible without giving up your journalistic integrity.

  Pam Dixon Gayle
  Academy TV
  Lake Charles-Boston Academy of Learning
  Lake Charles, LA