[STN-Affiliates] Community / Public Access TV

Paul Kass pkass at hartdistrict.org
Wed Feb 25 18:49:33 PST 2009

Greetings All,

I hope there is someone out there who can help me.  Here's the senario:
In December, our local cable company pulled out of our public access station and turned it over to the city.  Now the city, a non-profit group, the local newspaper, our district and the local community college are looking to form a joint partnership to take over and run the station.  From what I understand, the city will contribute $300,000 a year for capital for equipment and facilities and $25,000 for salaries.  They want to know what the other partners will contribute.

Now, the fact that we are in California, we have absolutely no money to contribute into this.  We are trying to come up with other ideas.  It will be a community access station so we talked about creating the commercials that will bring in revenue, providing a location for them to hold the studio and creating programming to air on the station. There was talk about having teachers run the station, but that would take away from the classroom and right now we are looking at having to cut close to 100 teachers due to the budget.  (Yeah not a good year for us)

So, is there anyone out there who has entered into something like this?  What contributions did you bring to the table?  How was it all organized?  Any and all help and advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Paul Kass
Placerita Jr High
Newhall, Ca