[STN-Affiliates] Highlight reels, charging, etc.

Irving, Ted Ted.Irving at fortbend.k12.tx.us
Wed Feb 25 07:28:58 PST 2009

This question is for any media program out there, but especially the
large ones. How are you dealing with video requests and how do you
balance getting your media students to complete your assignments as well
as provide video services to the district, campus and other departments
(core, clubs, sports, etc.)? Our program is a media academy with about
150 students. We offer college credit courses, internships,
certifications and much more. We operate like a college Mass Comm.
program. However, we get overwhelmed with requests to produce videos for
clubs, sports core classes, etc. I have submitted a fee schedule and I'm
waiting on approval from my principal and CTE coordinator. But I do have
a few lingering question which are:

1)       If you charge for video productions, do you set a limit per
semester?

2)       How did you justify charging for video production services?

3)       Are you producing athlete highlight DVD reels and if so, what
are the parameters?

4)       Did you rewrite your curriculum to include "for pay," services
that are also counted as a grade?

5)       Are you renting your equipment for a daily rate to the parents
or those in the community?

6)       If you are producing a lot of content for external and internal
parties, when do you have time to teach theory or is that skipped?

7)       If you are producing a lot of content and charging, what normal
teacher duties have you been able to get reduced or removed? Did you
request that state testing and other duties be removed and if so, how
did you approach your principal with this request?

Ted A. Irving, M.A.

Hightower Electronic Media Academy Coordinator

Japan Fulbright Memorial Fund Teacher

Final Cut Pro 5.1.4 Certified/Avid Media Composer 119, 129, 101, 110

Alpha Phi Alpha-Xi Kappa Lambda

(281)634-5362

Program Website - www.hightowermedia.tv <http://www.hightowermedia.tv>

Courses I teach - (click to access):

Video Tech 1
<http://www.fortbendisd.com/campuses/hhs/teacher.cfm?TeacherIndex=15593>

Intro Media Tech
<http://www.fortbendisd.com/campuses/hhs/teacher.cfm?TeacherIndex=30926>

Media Tech 1
<http://www.fortbendisd.com/campuses/hhs/teacher.cfm?TeacherIndex=15604>

Media Tech 2-Internship
<http://www.fortbendisd.com/campuses/hhs/teacher.cfm?TeacherIndex=28581>

<http://www.hightowermedia.tv>

This electronic transmission and any documents or other writings sent
with it are confidential information which is intended only for the
named recipient and which may be legally privileged. If you receive this
communication in error, please immediately notify the sender by
telephone call to 281-634-6887 for instructions on its destruction or
return. Any disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any
action concerning the contents of this communication or any attachments
by anyone other than the named recipient is strictly prohibited.